“I just want clear skin, full brows and 5 million dollars,” said every person ever who woke up feeling broke, both in terms of money and self-confidence. There are countless times when you wish for everything in your lives to be perfect; perfect skin, perfect hair, a perfect partner, a perfect job, a perfect home. However, that is not the case always, so you turn to various remedies, both home and market-based. One of the most popular home-based remedies for healthy skin, hair and body is green tea. There are many uses of green tea, apart from just drinking it that can help improve your lifestyle.
Now, while your home, job and partners are very different facets, there are other areas like your skin, hair and body that can be altered, changed or improved. Many people rush to doctors and aestheticians for instant results on these, but fail to see that clear skin, bouncy hair and a healthy body can be achieved with the help of various uses of green tea.
Alternative Uses of Green Tea for Skin and Hair Health
Here are 10 alternative uses of green tea that will help improve skin and hair health:-
1. Soothes sunburns or blemishes- Green tea is rich in tannic acid, which helps treat sunburns and get rid of blemishes. All you need is some green tea leaves, brewed. Once the brewed tea cools down, dip a clean cloth or towel into it and place it on affected areas for up to 30 minutes. In case loose leaf tea is not available, you can use green tea bags and apply the wet tea bags directly on your face to calm down irritation and redness.
2. Reduces puffiness and dark circles around the eyes- One of the most popular uses of green tea include its ability to minimize dark circles and puffiness underneath the eyes. The two main components of green tea, caffeine and antioxidants, help shrink the blood vessels underneath the eyes, which help lighten dark circles. Furthermore, the tannin present in the green tea helps reduce the puffiness around the eyes. You will require two cooled wet tea bags, probably used, and place them on your eyes. After five to ten minutes, the puffiness will visibly reduce. Regular use of green tea bags will lighten dark circles as well.
3. Tones the skin- Due to rampant pollution and bad eating habits, people heavily rely on their skin care products for self- care. One of these products is toner. However, if you run out of toner, you can rely on loose green tea or tea bags. One of the unknown uses of green tea includes its ability to tone the skin. Just take a wet and cool tea bag and wipe your face with it, or you could even use a tissue or towel soaked in pure green tea. Once done, let it sit for a few minutes before wiping with a clean tissue or cloth to remove excess. The astringent properties of green tea help shrink the pores on your skin, making it less greasy and clean.
4. Acts as a scrub- Now, if you’ve been discarding away used green tea leaves or tea bags, you are missing out on the uses of green tea as a natural scrub. Due to its semi-oxidized nature, green tea, after brewing, can be dried and used as a scrub. Just sit your tea bag or tea leaves out in the sun to dry completely and use it as a ‘DIY scrub’. Don’t forget to moisturise your skin after this. A natural green tea scrub will leave your skin feeling softer and cleaner.
5. Soothes skin and scalp- If you are searching for a natural remedy for dry skin and hair, then green tea is the answer. It can sooth excessive inflammation and irritation on the skin and scalp. Apply a tea bag on your face regular when following a cleansing routine. This will help remove dry patches and redness. For the scalp, spray brewed cooled green tea on the scalp 20 minutes before washing your hair. It will help relax irritated tissues, itchiness and dryness.
6. Can be used as a face mask- Green tea is one of the least oxidized teas, apart from white tea. Therefore, it ample amounts of antioxidants, tannins, polyphenols and flavonoids. You can use brewed tea leaves and blend them into a paste, then apply it as a face mask. Let it sit on your face for 15-20 minutes, while you sip on a fine cup of green tea. This all-natural mask will leave your skin glowing and beaming from within. You can also add yoghurt or honey in your mask for added glow and smoothness.
7. Helps fix chapped lips- One of the alternative uses of green tea include its hydrating properties. The main reasons for dry and chapped lips are the lack of moisture and hydration. Green tea alleviates the burn of dry and chapped lips. For best results, apply a green tea bag soaked in warm water over the lips, to reduce redness and hydrate the lips. When your lips are chapped, avoid scrubbing them or they may inflame and drink plenty of water.
8. Can be used as a hair rinse- In order to stop your tresses from shedding, one of the alternative uses of green tea is as a hair rinse. After you shampoo your hair, take a mug full of green tea water and rinse your hair with it. Not only will this strengthen your roots but also stimulate hair growth. To add extra shine to your hair, add a spoonful of apple cider vinegar and you will be gifted with healthy, strong and lustrous hair.
9. Can be used as a hair mask- While you may have heard of hair spa creams, and conditioning masks, a mask made from green tea is a rather new concept in the beauty industry. Hair experts dish that a natural mask made from 2 tablespoons of green tea, with either 1 tablespoon of olive oil or coconut oil, an egg yolk or half a lemon, used every week, will not only strip your hair of dirt and pollution but also condition it from within. Such alternative uses of green tea will leave your hair feeling smoother and thicker within a few uses.
10. Helps maintain the skin’s pH levels- There are certain green tea blends which are rich in natural oils, making them extremely beneficial for acne prone and oily skin. Applying the brewed water of green tea, especially flavours like Jasmine, chamomile and tulsi, help reduce excess oil and acne on the skin. Green tea has antibacterial and antifungal properties, which are essential to maintain the skin’s pH balance and fight off unwanted infections.
More About Uses of Green Tea for Skin and Hair
While drinking green tea has immense benefit for the body from the inside out, direct application of it leads to different results altogether. The alternative uses of green tea are just one of the many things you can do for self-care. If you’re someone whose goal this year is to invest in taking care of yourself, then invest in your skin and hair. Our wellness tea range, ChaiSpa, is a blend of diverse ingredients that can enhance the results of your beauty regime, due to its ingredients being beauty-friendly. Blends like Shuddhi, Arogya and Spoorti offer its drinkers not just a chance to cleanse from within but also improve their skin and hair health through alternative uses of green tea. Although having a happy face with a smile on is essential to make yourself and others feel good, so are healthy skin and tresses. These are the two things that will represent you for a very long time. Healthy skin and hair can drastically change your aura, making your veneer even more welcoming.