Darjeeling tea is the name given to a type of tea which is procured from the Darjeeling district in West Bengal in India. All the four varieties of tea namely white tea, green tea, black tea and oolong tea are produced in Darjeeling. Darjeeling teas are characterised as thin-bodied tea that has a light-coloured infusion with a floral aroma. The unique flavour of Darjeeling tea includes some astringent tannic characteristics. It has a musky spiciness which is sometimes described as muscatel that is based on the flavour of the muscatel grapes. Darjeeling tea is often described to be one of the best types of tea by tea connoisseurs and is often called as the “Champagne of teas”. There are two varieties of the Camellia sinensis tea plant which are used to produce teas and these are namely the large-leaved Assamese variety plant and the small-leaved Chinese variety plant. Traditionally Darjeeling tea is produced from the leaves of the small-leaved Chinese variety of the Camellia sinensis plant. Also, Darjeeling tea is made as black tea traditionally, however recently the Darjeeling oolong teas, white tea and green teas are also more commonly being produced by some tea estates in Darjeeling.
You may already be aware that tea has many potential health benefits for us. Darjeeling tea is no exception to this. Darjeeling tea is one tasty way to reap the amazing benefits of tea for your health, skin and hair. Let us find out how a regular consumption of Darjeeling tea can benefit your health, skin and hair.
Darjeeling Tea Benefits for your Health, Skin and Hair-
• Helps in improving overall health – Darjeeling tea contains antioxidants such as theaflavins and thearubigins. The theaflavins and thearubigins are large, complex compounds which are powerful antioxidants that help in combating the harmful free oxygen radicals, eliminate toxins, as well as neutralise the effects of the harmful radicals. The free oxygen radicals are responsible for a number of health issues such as they accelerate ageing, raise the risk for chronic illnesses, as well as cause cellular damage. Thus a regular intake of good quality organic Darjeeling tea can help in improving the overall health.
• May help in reducing the risk of cancer – A regular consumption of Darjeeling tea may help in the prevention of various types of cancer since the polyphenolic compounds present in it, have been found to prevent as well as reduce the frequency of cellular mutations.
• It can help in improving the overall oral health – Without the addition of artificial sweeteners, Darjeeling tea does not erode teeth. Consuming Darjeeling tea at least three times a day may help in keeping your teeth strong and healthy as it helps to maintain the pH levels in the mouth as well as helps to ward off the harmful bacterias that cause cavities and gum disease. Darjeeling tea has also been found to contain a high amount of magnesium which is a water-soluble mineral. Magnesium helps in the formation of bones and teeth. Darjeeling tea has also been found to contain significant amounts of fluoride that can aid in reversing the early signs of tooth decay in weakened tooth enamel thereby also preventing tooth loss.
• Darjeeling tea can help increase the bone mineral density – A regular consumption of Darjeeling tea may help in increasing bone mineral density. Some studies indicate that people who consume tea on a regular basis have a higher bone mineral density compared than those who do not. Darjeeling tea may therefore also aid in the prevention of bone-related disease such osteoporosis and may reduce the risk associated with fractures.
• May help to reduce the risk of gastric ailments – A regular consumption of Darjeeling tea is considered to be a good preventive aide against the onset of gastric ailments. The anti-inflammatory properties of Darjeeling tea may help relieve inflamed stomach linings as well as help to eradicate the harmful bacterias present in the stomach.
• May aid in the promotion of weight Loss – Darjeeling tea is very low in calories and can, therefore, be used as a dietary aide. You can easily substitute sweetened beverages with Darjeeling tea to reduce both your calorie as well as sugar intake. The caffeine present in Darjeeling tea helps boost in increasing the metabolism rate as well as the energy levels, which are needed for physical performances such as vigorous exercises, sports, etc.
• Helps to boost heart health – Studies have indicated that a regular consumption of Darjeeling tea may help in the prevention of heart disease. The polyphenols present in Darjeeling tea are powerful antioxidants that reduce the oxidation of LDL cholesterol and increase the blood flow. Darjeeling tea also contains flavonoids that may help reduce the risk associated with heart attacks.
• Improves immunity – Common ailments such as flu and common colds can be prevented by drinking a warm cup of Darjeeling tea. Darjeeling tea contains Theanine, which is an amino acid known to strengthen the immune system by inhibiting negative effects of cortisol.
• May help to reduce the risk associated with Parkinson’s disease – Studies have indicated that the powerful antioxidant compounds such as polyphenols present in Darjeeling tea may have positive neuroprotective effects on the brain. These compounds also help in inhibiting the cellular damage caused by free oxygen radicals thus promoting brain health.
• Darjeeling tea can help reduce the stress levels – Studies indicate that Darjeeling tea can help regulate the production of Cortisol which is also known as the stress hormone, thus helping to reduce the stress levels. Consumption of tea, in general, has been known to help improve mental alertness and focus due to the presence of caffeine. Darjeeling tea contains a moderate amount of caffeine which can provide an energy boost.
• Helps improve skin health – Darjeeling tea is rich in anti-oxidants which eradicate the free oxygen radicals that are known for causing early signs of ageing and skin conditions like pimples and acne.
• Improves the health of your hair and scalp – A topical application of Darjeeling tea can help bring shine and lustre back to dull and damaged hair.
3 Replies to “Health Benefits of Darjeeling Tea for your skin and hair ”
Black on black in the Charger I’m creepin’ Rub me the right way, you might get a genie B.o.B, black Houdini
Lovely article about green tea and benefits about it.I got to learn new thiings. You have written amazing article..!!!
Keep us updated with such useful information.
Thank you for the helpful tips. Darjeeling tea is the best for me, it gives me energy.